Beginning to read music
If you have been learning with me for a little while, we have likely been learning to play many songs by ear, which means, using your auditory sense to associate the sound of a short phrase with the action and sensation of playing the keys on the piano.
Now it is time to do a little note reading, which helps us learn to interpret the sight of “dots on the page”, which means learning to see the dots and play the correct notes on the keyboard. The best way to do this is simple repetition.
- Note Reading Lesson One – Right hand, C position
- Note Reading Lesson Two – Left hand, C position
- Sight Reading – C position
- Sight Reading – C position 2
- Sight Reading – F position, simple triple
- Chord Progressions – I-IV-V-I in C major