Here you will find beginner songs for first lessons, as we start to teach all our fingers to play. My method aims to introduce notes, hand positions, time signatures and note values incrementally, and offer flexibility as to speed of progression. Some students need more time at each step, building and maintaining those skills carefully. Other students need more novelty and will be presented with new concepts regularly, but given opportunity for frequent backtracking.
Enjoy these pieces – a free method for students the world over!
Stage one – Getting all ten fingers moving
- Finger one and two – for young beginners
- Fingers one and two, too
- Fingers three – Introducing third finger and hands together
- Proper Mary – had a little lamb
- Wonky Mary – crossing from one hand to another
- Bass Clef 1 – learning to sight read bass clef in middle c position, fingers 1-4
- The Olive Branch – A sweet little song introducing some hands together playing
- Tricky Little Pinky – Introduces that little left pinky (you can do it little guy!)
- A to E – Consolidation